Monday 23 November 2015

Agho P. Blessing, the farmer sowing the seed of entrepreneurship in young Nigerians


AfricanCheetahs.org met with Agho Princess Blessing during the Global Entrepreneurship Week (#GEW) to share with us her entrepreneurship story, how she started, her challenges, her YALI journey and many more.
Tell us a little about yourself….
My name is Agho Blessing, a social entrepreneur and a farmer. Currently, I’m a student studying entrepreneurship at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). I grew up in Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria. I am an expert professional agriculture practitioner with an experience of four years in farming. I am the founder of EarthTab Services, an initiative that trains and educates women and youth on the need to engage in entrepreneurial activities as it can be a sustainable means of livelihood.
What’s your Aha moment?
On this day last year,
I believed that I could create a service based social enterprise that will train and empower women and youths to enable them flourish and grow. I realized most youths in Edo State do not have entrepreneurship spirit. I decided to organize programs and seminars to spark that spirit in them. In my state, most of the youths are into internet fraud, sales of community lands and other unproductive activities, while some are into petty businesses. Some of the girls think the easiest ways they can make money is through prostitution.
At that point I knew I needed to build up myself to enable me impact greatness to the youths in my community. I decided to create an organization to educate, train and empower women and youths on the needs to engage in entrepreneurial activities. That was what gave birth to EARTHTAB SERVICES.
First time cultivating watermelon
How it started
Why EarthTab?
Earth – meaning the world we are living in, Tab – shorthand forTablet, which means; If you give the earth the right tablet it needs, you would get the wellness of earth in return, just as the bible says; you reap what you sow. So far I have been able to transform the lives of more than 200 people in my state with over 30 people presently doing great things. One them designed a robot. He came to one of my workshops and said he was inspired by what he heard so he went home to think of what he can do to impact his society.  I also have a partner whom I sometimes work with DESTINY FREDERICK, who also has strong passion for developing the youths in Edo State. She is into recycling of waste and that’s something I and I’m proud of.
But why farming?
I have always had a passion for processing of agricultural products since in Africa, most of our products are just exported without adding any value. But I realized that to be successful in post-harvest technology, I need to understand how the cultivation of the crops is done and how the crops respond to various weather conditions. So I intended to start a farm in order to equip myself with knowledge on these. In the end, I’m helping ensure food security in Africa, whiles providing employment opportunities to youths in my community and helping reduce poverty. In essence, agriculture can be a gold mine for youth entrepreneurs.
3
Section of Blessing’s farm
“Agriculture can be a gold mine for youth entrepreneurs”
As a young female farmer tell us your challenges
Few girls of my age range are into farming, I will not say I have faced challenges because I am a lady, I will rather say I have faced challenges just like every other farmer has. Fact is, a lot of men, women and youth are now engaged in the practice as a result of the progress I have sustained over the years. Some young boys in my State see what I’m doing and are inspired by that.
Why do you think entrepreneurship is the way out poverty in Africa?
Entrepreneurship is a means of creating wealth, with all the natural resources available in Africa. If entrepreneurs are invested upon, Africa will become the greatest continent in the world. Most of the youths are into illegal activities for money; so I think entrepreneurship gives them the opportunity to make money legally.
View of entrepreneurship in the Nigeria
Entrepreneurial activities is increasing in Nigeria as different private organizations are investing greatly in entrepreneurs but the government should do more and create policies that will benefit entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur, to what do you attribute your success?
Hard work, persistence, focus and most importantly, mentorship. My mentor Pastor James O. Bodunrin has contributed greatly to my success as he has been a mentor and a father, he taught me how to grow the seed of greatness in me.
Credit: AfricanCheetahs

No comments:

Post a Comment